Thursday, March 12, 2015

What. A. Day.

We started the day with an unannounced blood draw to wake us up. I asked the lab tech if she was sure, that I didn't think it was necessary. She said it was ordered. I was naive and I let her do it, I should have gone to find my nurse. Never again will I let someone poke my baby when I don't think it's necessary.

The women flipped on the blazing light, Selene covered her face, cried for her sun glasses and cried during the blood draw. This was at 7:08 am. She had been sound asleep. And we had to make it to 1pm without eating.

2 minutes later our nurse, Allie, came running in asking if Labs had been there. I confirmed they just drew blood and she looked devastated. As I had guessed, the order was a mistake and it hadn't been necessary. It was the first time I almost lost it (not on our nurse, just in general).

Selene recovered but it was a devastatingly long morning then of trying to keep her occupied. We tried to walk the halls, she's usually good for at least 45 minutes lapping in her cozy coupe. We got out there, she refused to get in. So I brought it into our room and asked if she wanted to have a Drive In movie. She liked that idea. So for the next 3.5 hours I deflected "I'm hungy! I want befast!" and kept her busy with crafts, toys on the mat, and shows. At 10:30, Allie came in excitedly announcing that we had been called! (During rounds the Nurse Practitioner said she would call them to ask them to squeeze us in). So we wrestled Selene into the hospital gown and got her to IR (interventional radiology.)

And there, we waited. And waited. And waited. Selene was hungry, she was bored, she wanted down. It was awful. They didn't come to take her until 12:35. They gave her "giggle juice" which she was so irate about taking that it barely even worked. She calmed down after a few minutes but she didn't let the nurse take her. So I put on my bunny suit and took her in while they gave her gas. I will always hate holding her down and watching her eyes close that way.

Usually someone walks me out at that point but no one did. So I made my way through the labyrinth of back halls to find food. This pregnant Momma was starving! After eating quickly, I realized that no one had told me how long or where to wait. So I just went to where we usually wait. During all of this my phone died. And I was lonely. I never realized the comfort that Dan brings. I'm usually so sensible and without him there my mind started racing and filling with What Ifs. But before I knew it the nurse came to get me and said all went great. He also said they tried to put her in a room that they just cleaned up really quickly and he said Heck no! Not for a transplant patient. So they had taken her to a different recovery area that was sterile. I was pleased with his persistence.

And then I began the waiting game again, as she slept. But this time I was fretting because my Mom and Aunt were driving in and I had no phone to tell them where I was. After an hour and 20 minutes the door opened and my mom walked in! I was never so relieved to see her. She and my Aunt had managed to make their way to our room and then Allie brought her over. It was another hour of waiting and finally anesthesia asked us to wake her. I think it was a combination of nap time, exhaustion setting in, and some extra meds they gave her since she now has a history of delirium waking.  She was confused but calm. It took a little longer than I had hoped to get out of there but we made our way out and found Daddy and Aunt M.

After getting Selene settled and watching her devour her pizza my Aunt took Dan and I out for a much needed dinner. It was lovely to get out and get some time with her.

Of course the action never stops and when we got back to a very happy Beanie we had to deal with a soaked diaper, realizing her hospital gown and had been tubied (that's a real word you know :-) ) onto her pole (the IV lines were hooked up with her shirt on thus trapping it), realizing she can't wear long sleeves (which was devastating to this DIVA who loves certain outfits) and then just as we were ready to put her into bed, finding blood dripping onto the floor. After panicking for a hot second that it was her arm, I realized the connection on her one lumen had come undone and the line was dripping blood. Selene was pretty excited "Tubies leaking!" So I called for help and they got it all fixed up.

At that point it was 8:45 and Selene was begging to get in bed. We've been horrible about getting her down at night. I'll have to be better at getting her to bed by 8:15.

So what was a completely emotionally exhausting day didn't end so terribly. Tomorrow I get to wake up with help from my Mom and then it's girls' night! Aunt Jojo is coming down from NYC, and we are going to pick up Ainsley for a sleepover at our house. I'm a touch sad to leave Selene but the nurses all love Dan so I'm sure they'll help him survive just fine.

Sorry for the verbosity, here's some pictures to make up for it!


PT yesterday, Selene loves the find the puzzle pieces game.

Bowling!

"It's medicine time, where are you going?"
"I hiding."

Drive In Theatre! Next time we'll have snacks.

On to coloring.

And UmiZoomi

By all accounts she should have been raging after not eating for 16 hours and being stuck in the triage room for 2 hours. Overall she was fantastic.

Cleaning.


2 comments:

  1. Jen, your grandmother Bell is at Grace, where I go to church. A deacon is in my mom's group and she told us your story and shared your blog with me on Wednesday. I have been praying for you and your family since the beginning of February, when I found out, and through the transplant. I am in absolute awe of you and Selene (and Ainsley and Dan). What a strong and incredible family you have. The faith you profess is inspirational. Please take heart that even strangers are praying for you... every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the prayers, Anico! What an amazing blessing it is to have every one thinking of and praying for our family. I'm so glad Grandmother is able to read and share the blog. She's quite the whiz keeping up with this technological age!

      Delete