Thursday, March 19, 2015

"Cookies?"

I am so desperately tired but I know that I need to update everyone after all of the amazing prayers received. If everyone prayed that Selene would sleep the day, thank you!

She had an IV placed at midnight, then a second placed in the morning to draw blood from and to give her additional medicines (she currently has 7 lines going into her double lumen PICC so one IV didn't cut it). It left her pretty limited in her usage, but she adapted quickly. Ie we watched movies all morning.

After somehow making it to noon, Selene asked to get into bed and slept for 3 hours. They gave her platelets during that time in preparation of her surgery. Her number wasn't quite low enough for a transfusion if nothing had been going on, but I was glad to know she'd be ready to clot during surgery.

The attending came to apologize to me this morning, he was genuinely upset and feeling for Selene. So I of course cried. I don't know if we'll ever know whether it was faulty PICCS, something wrong with her anatomy, or just tubes and toddlers. But I've moved past it.

The normal parade of people came for consent, to discuss anesthesia, etc. and I asked each of them to do what they could. In the end we weren't taken until 4:30 but at least she slept up until that time.

She asked for cookies every 10 minutes, each time with a smile on her face. Telling her no was heart breaking. I told her I'd have them when she woke up, along with chips and goldfish (all of which were begged for).

We got her settled into the OR, I once again held her as she fell into that creepy deep sleep, and then went to find those darn cookies! Thanks PACU waiting room vending machine for having chocolate chip cookies.

It was literally the first word she said upon waking (gently and happily now that they nailed down the proper anesthesia protocol for her). She then became more intrigued with the cheese curls I had grabbed (yes it's all junk but it's all she is allowed and I am happy with anything she'll put in her mouth at this point).

She then asked for a plate and spoon, because what toddler doesn't eat snacks off a plate with a spoon. The recovery nurse got the biggest kick out of it.

After we got back to her room we decided it was time for the buzz cut. After some Facebook message encouragement and one too many hairs lining our throats and eyes, it was time.  I asked our nurse to do it because I didn't know how she or I would handle it. In true Selene fashion she stood completely still and asked "All done?" at the end. She has the most perfectly beautiful head and I can't stop touching it.  She did ask me to dry her hair after her bath. So I blew cool air from the hair dryer, we'll work up to it.

After the craziness of the previous 12 hours, Dan kicked my mom and I out for a little break. I decided I was craving a chimichanga so we walked to Mad Mex. We walked in and it was so dark and so loud I could barely get my bearings. When did I get so old?! Then the host said it would be 30 minutes. I totally forgot it was Thursday on a college campus. Forget that craziness.  We had some amazing food at the New Deck Tavern, had a great conversation, I took two sips of her delicious red wine and then we came home to kiss a beautiful Beanie good night.

Honestly, even the hard days aren't all that bad in the end. Selene smiled through most of it, I had the support of my mom, and eventually Dan, and we are all going to bed exhausted. I will definitely trade in all these crazy times for a totally boring three weeks though.

Thank you for all of the prayers and thoughts!


The most blessed, well timed, nap time.

She woke with a smile on her face.

This picture does not do justice to her silly mood.

Half her hair has basically fallen out.

She was upset because she wanted her nonos on but then couldn't bend her arm.

Getting a ride back to her room!

Just bask in the craziness of this.

I couldn't stop laughing, I don't know why.

Beautiful as always.

Her first haircut...at least bath time will be easier since she currently hates it.

Just what we needed to end the day, a beautiful box of goodies from Aunt Jess!

Mt best friend spoiled us, Selene was more excited than she was on Christmas morning!

1 comment:

  1. Selene looks beautiful!!!!!
    Thanks for sharing your days with us, even when you are so exhausted!!!
    God Bless,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete