Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Kudos to Bloggers who can actually think of titles for every post...

So I'm being harassed by family for not updating more often :-) Sorry! I'm going to blame it on pregnancy. 38 weeks! I can't believe this little one will be here so soon. I'm equal parts ecstatic to meet her and terrified of managing Selene and at the same time. Good thing I have amazing Nanas in my life!

We had our Ortho appointment on Thursday. I think the only aspect of CHOP that I am slightly frustrated by is the seemingly lacking knowledge of what a bald head and masked child means. You would think every member of the staff would know how to treat a child like that. I mean, don't get me wrong, when I walked into that mob scene of a waiting room I wasn't about to not fight for my kid. But I shouldn't have to.  When I checked in they told me to go to the annex where our doctor sees patients and ask for a room. I get it, it's busy, they see some asinine number of patients a year, the number 48,000 is ringing a bell. But when I first asked for a room I got a curt "I don't have a room." I held Selene in a corner of the hall for about 5 minutes until they got me one. I walked in and the kids' hospital gown was on the table and the paper was still out.  My heart was racing.  Of course I whipped out my Clorox wipes and disinfected the entire table. I guess I just take for granted how efficient and thorough Oncology is.

In any case, I was also worried about how Selene would react to keeping her mask on the whole time. Other than getting hungry and having to wait for the nurse to leave for her to eat, she wore it the whole time.

So, the appointment was pretty much as uneventful as I had imagined. This type of fracture is super common in kids, especially those who play sports. And 99.9% of the time it's not big deal and goes no further. Based on her transplant, diet and the fact that she is taking vitamin D, calcium and is active, he thinks nothing will come of this. We go back in 6 months for x-rays just to be sure the curvature of her spine is on track and the spaces aren't any more compressed. Other than that she seems to be good to go.

Our weekend was busy and lovely. Saturday, Ainsley and I went to Nana Bell's house for a lovely Mother's Day brunch with the great-grandmothers. We were thoroughly spoiled with delicious food and delightful catching up since i hadn't seen them since the transplant. Then we went straight to a little birthday party for Ainsley's classmate.  I'm wondering how hard I'm going to compensate with her birthday party next year after the chill party she's going to get this year.

Mother's Day was relaxing and calm. Just how I like it!

Today's appointment was a marathon of waiting. Our appt was for 10:30 but traffic was delightful after the past two weeks of rush hour. So we arrived at 10:15. By 11 we were done with triage and blood work, got to hear all of Music Therapy and were waiting for a room.

I need to take a minute to give one more example of my champion kid. Now that tubies are out Selene needs to be stuck for blood. She barely winced when they inserted the needle. Then as they drew 5 vials of blood she asked for stickers, the tech said of course! And she squealed "Hooray! I'm happy!" I mean, not really the attitude most 2 year olds have while blood is being drawn, in fact, she probably handles it better than many adults :-)

At noon we were finally given a room, which meant the girls could finally eat something, they devoured their peanut butter and jelly, strawberries blueberries AND the snap peas that I was hoping to eat :-) At 12:45 Dr. Olson and Nurse Ellen came in. They apologized for being so far behind. All of that for 5 minutes of checking in. Her numbers are all stable over last week. Although her liver level was a touch higher than they'd like. Apparently the antibiotic that she's on can cause that so we'll check it next week. If all looks good there then we can move to biweekly appointments! What perfect timing with the new addition arriving so soon.

We continue to be thrilled and blessed at Selene's progress and health. We owe so much of it to all of the prayers the flood in daily for her. Thank you for all of the love!

I couldn't believe she agreed to put this on for her Ortho appt.

Flute lessions

This seems safe

It's water, but don't be fooled, she's obsessed with Coffee

Mother's day morning

My gorgeous girl!

Ainsley rocking out on her xylophone

Thunder drum!

Music with Miss Allison

Let the waiting begin





Things are getting real! Baby gear!

No comments:

Post a Comment