Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Twas the night before transplant...

It's the night before the next leg of our Neutropenia journey begins. I feel like we had so many "lasts" today. The last morning for Selene and Ainsley to wake up and play together before our drive to school. I would say it was the last nap in her room, but she refused to nap today and instead played for an hour and a half before I finally gave up and got her out of the crib. Their last bath. The last Neupogen shot! The last time I rocked her to sleep in her own room (and yes I did hold her an extra 10 minutes while staring at her angelic face).

"Last" morning play!

"Last breakfast together."


That's ridiculous because 5-6 weeks isn't that long and we'll be back before we know it. I feel like things will be different when we get home, but here's to hoping things are exactly the same, with a few more precautions and a lot more medicines.

This is going to be a hodge podge of my thoughts since my brain has been all over the place today.

First, I want to thank everyone for all of the love! The wishes, texts, emails, facebook messages, and packages are overwhelming! The visit from our friends who flew to Philadelphia for a fleeting weekend just to say "We're here for you."  And the Youcaring page! The generosity is humbling. So thank you! I had a wonderful conversation today with the women who will help us. She is a cancer survivor herself and is so encouraging! I even scheduled them to come next week so that I could focus on Selene and Ainsley this week and not cleaning!

I am already way behind, as in I've done none, on thank you notes. I am hoping to get time in the hospital to write but know that feel blessed and appreciative of everything!

Secondly, I need to share the amazing soul that is in Ainsley. I don't know where it comes from. I'd like to think I foster this, but I don't think her level of thought, generosity, and love can be taught. My favorite quotes of the day:

"I'm sad I won't see you tomorrow, Mommy. But at least I'll see Nana and Pappy and I know they'll take really really good care of me."

"Mom, just let Selene do whatever she wants. It's her last day at home and she won't get to do lots of things while she's in the hospital."

"Selene, I'm going to come visit you in a few days when it's summer. And I'll wear a mask so I won't get you sick."

"Tonight, when I'm alone in bed, I'm going to say tons more prayers for Selene."

She also came out of her room yesterday with a box that she had taped up, apparently filled with artwork, she had written Selene's name on it and asked me how to spell "transplant." It was for Selene to take to her transplant to make her happy. Then there is the fact that she's been going around the house all week saying "My favorite job is to give Selene my blood!" Because the nurse who examined her explained that it's only her job to give marrow, not to fix/cure/heal Selene. That that is the doctors and nurses job. It is really important that we not place to weight of "curing" Selene on Ainsley. So she is now pumped about her job of giving her "blood" :-)

Third would be that we were once again given an afternoon surgery time. Which means another day of not feeding my hobbit. But I'm not going to dwell on that. We are just going to survive and hope that it doesn't make for a traumatic admission after her central line surgery.

Fourth is that our new friends Lisa and Emma came to visit! Emma went through her transplant last year and is doing fabulously! Her strength and happiness gives me hope. She and Selene really hit it off and I'm eager for them to play again in 6-7 months!

Emma and Selene

My mother in law sends me verses when they seem to fit, it's amazing how many Bible verses fit when you are seeking his presence to walk with you in times of trouble. Today's was extra fitting.

Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Faith brings me peace and I am certain He is guiding our doctors, watching over our nurses as they watch over Selene and that He'll bring comfort to Selene in times of pain and fear.




No comments:

Post a Comment