Saturday, March 5, 2016

When you wish upon a star...


A few weeks ago we found out some special news. Selene is being granted a wish by Make a Wish! We are truly humbled at this amazing opportunity and gift. It's hard to feel deserving of such generosity but at the same time we are excited for her to have the chance to be treated like royalty, along with Ainsley whose been such a champ over the past year. And Kalina gets to go along for the ride.

We started talking to Selene about how she will be able to choose to go somewhere, meet someone, become something, etc. We didn't want to put any ideas in her head just generally explain the process. Today Susan and Michelle, Wish Volunteers, came to see us bearing a bag of princess toys for the girls. They asked lots of questions about all her favorite things and when they asked where she would want to go she said "A princess castle!" She then proceeded to tell them all about how she wants to play dress up and some other things about sleeping in a bed, kids are weird and I have no idea what she meant.

So we will be off to Disney World to dress up like Princesses! And if Ainsley has her way, a nice day at Diagon Alley and Hogwarts!

For as quirky and delightful as Selene is, she's super shy and rarely opens up to strangers. They must know how to find the most special volunteers because she talked, answered their questions, and drew lots of pictures for them to take.

If you know me at all, you'll know that I'm obsessive with planning and researching everything. So when we found out about Make A Wish I started reading stories. I cried for two days. I cried at the happy, celebratory stories. I cried at the sad, final memories stories. I'm so grateful that we will be celebrating on our trip!


Selene and Susan discussing all their big princess plans!

Writing with their fancy pens.

Kalina is excited to be included in the big girls'' fun.

They really loved Susan!

2 comments:

  1. Well, I am now a blubbering mess! Make*a*Wish is my favorite organization on the planet, and I am so happy for Selene and the rest of your family! I hope to be able to see you when you come down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Have you ever been to Give Kids the World? It looks amazing. Hopefully you can come visit us there or at a park!

      Delete