Thursday, July 24, 2014

HVAC, Hot water heaters and cable, Oh My!

It's been a crazy week here. Our HVAC system was a few years beyond it's lifespan and the Polar Vortex did a number on all the heat pumps in our neighborhood. If you are in heating/cooling, you should hang flyers in our area.  The girls thoroughly enjoyed watching that process and have spent countless hours playing with the styrofoam packing pieces (they were hopeful for the huge box too, but sadly it was left out in the rain).

Then yesterday I had to handle Verizon coming to set up our drastic move to basic cable and internet only. We've been feeling fairly gluttonous spending so much money on tv watching and felt it would do us all some good to scale back on the channels, HD, etc. Thank goodness for the PBS and Disney Jr apps though. On the bright side, our techs son was a Penn Stater, you really do meet a fellow Lion everywhere you go. So between that and their military service we had much to chat about as he worked (while continuously asking me to confirm that I was indeed aware that I would not have DVR, onDemand, a fancy box or HD...yes, I'm aware).

And while Verizon was going on Hot Water Express came in to replace the hot water heater that almost burned down our house. Thankfully companies don't like when their products almost do things like catch fire. So they were more than gracious in paying for the complete transaction. And since Rheem took over the GE water heaters we even got a bit of an upgrade.  Though the upgrade was not worth the 5 days we spent with no hot water. I take for granted the ability to have hot water pour out of a faucet.  Heating pots of water for hair washing, dish washing, and dirty face washing got old after day 2. Laura Ingalls Wilder might be my new hero.

Due to all this madness in the past three days Selene had 0 naps . Needless to say I was pretty excited for naptime today. I probably should have spent more time cleaning and less time laying on the couch, but so it goes.

And despite being a stay at home Mom I still get super excited for Friday. Especially Fridays that bring my Aunt Merlann for a visit!

TGIF!

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your multitasking skills, Jen. You proved yourself good at taking care of things when your HVAC system reached beyond its lifespan, along with other household pet peeves that went on that week. Anyway, though there were upgrades made for your hot water heater, it's nice that everything went smoothly in the end. I hope your new HVAC system functions well. :)

    Shayne Gustafson @ Berico Heating and Air

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can definitely relate to your problem. For your readers, don't settle for losing the hot water for any amount of days. Washing dishes not that big of a deal, but you try to take an ice cold shower and it will be a life changing experience. I would say just have them replace it same day rather than deal with other option.

    Henrietta Fuller @ Bri-Tech HVAC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had it with my luck and hot water heaters. We went to Disney for a week and I made sue the house was secure for over an hour. When we got home we walked into a room full of water when the hot water heater erupted days ago. Now the cost to repair the damage is going to wipe me out.

    Lester Griffin @ Morgan Mechanical

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your story. It motivated me. That article means a lot to me.

    Heating and Cooling Woodbridge

    ReplyDelete
  6. That article helps me get on with the HVAC system. Thanks for sharing.

    Heating and Air Conditioning Etobicoke

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just wanted to make a quick comment to say GREAT blog!….. I’ll be checking in on a regularly now….Keep up the good work.
    Heating and Cooling Markham

    ReplyDelete